Friday, February 4, 2011

Imaginary Holidays

Well, its continuing to look a lot like winter to me which must mean that good ol' groundhog knows what he's talking about. ;)  Luckily, he doesn't control the actual spring equinox.  I'm grateful the sun is shining a little bit longer each day.  I no longer have to drive in utter darkness to and from work!  And yes, despite the ice skating rink outside, I only had one day of work off this week.  But don't worry, if you're the only crazy person on the road it's a lot safer. :)

Good thing I correctly interpreted that there would be some "new" things in our future.  I should start writing for the new astrological sign that's got everyone in a horiscope tizzy. Because I've been banking that all along I took initiative, courage and determination due to my sign(Aries), but I actually am compassionate and charitable nature (Pisces).  Guess they forgot to mention, I speed when driving, shop sales only, and don't like that people think I'm 'blond' (I prefer golden brown).  And if I did write up a scope, I'd make sure tell them that February is going to be a shorter month than next year, but don't worry in time it will return to normal. 


Do you ever think that people came up with Groundhogs Day and Valentines Day just because they got really bored in the winter?  Why not confuse/ depress everyone with a strange rodent that predicts the weather and then shoot them with an arrow and tell them to fall in love, or at least eat some candy hearts, bad chocolate, or make a craft.  And for those who truly pride themselves on being patriotic there's President's day to celebrate only a few days later! Yippee.


Next thing you know March will have a holiday where a lion devours a lamb and sees how long the mud season will last. (Depending on whether he eats the chops or mutton first or whether he sautees it with rosemary.) I'm going to call that holiday Lamb Chop after the late great PBS show. You know the "It's lamb chops play along where kids come to play along and fun things are all we ever do."
Although, it might be sad to have such a grotesque way of determining how long the mud season will last... perhaps I'll exchange the live animals for puppets so no one gets hurt.  That would be more in the Shari Lewis spirit.

What made up winter holidays do you want to create?

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha :-) I vote for the real lion && lamb

    ReplyDelete